Monday, December 19, 2005

Mary - Theotokos

I’ve posted on my website a sermon I preached a couple of years ago and updated it as a result of a lesson I taught this year. It’s about Theotokos. That’s a theological term (and Greek) applied to Mary. When Mary came to Elizabeth, Elizabeth proclaimed her to be “the mother of my Lord.” I’m not willing to go as far as the Roman Catholics (I don’t know about Orthodox, yet) but we “right wing protestants” (I mean that as negatively as I can) have got to take far more time to reflect on Mary than to which we are prone. We’ve got to get past the “that’s too Catholic” thing.

Mary is, if you will, the Christian disciple prototype. From our human perspective, we look at Mary and say, “What a great thing she did in giving birth to the Son of God.” Yes, that clearly is a great thing. But let’s not get so carried away that we lose sight of the greater thing. She trusted God. That’s what attracted God’s favor to Mary. She, apparently, didn’t realize how big a deal trusting God really was.

Click the link at the title of today’s web log entry if you’re interested in reading my sermon. It’s fairly short (at least, short for me).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home