Monday, November 20, 2006

Death, Home & Life

Henry was one of the most godly men I've ever known. He served, with his
wife, as a missionary doctor in India for many years in their younger days.
He went with a team I led to London to join a much larger team in ministry
to Muslims in London for two weeks. At that time he was 70-some years old -
but you won't have known it by looking at or listening to him.

He had such a heart for people. But his heart, first of all, was for Jesus.
It was all very obvious to me... as well as to many others.

I just received news that he died this morning - his body succumbing to the
cancer sought to destroy it. He's home now. And Henry is more alive now
than he's every been.

I didn't think it would hit me this way. Henry was so ready to leave this
earth - not in a negative way at all... just ready to see Jesus
face-to-face. I'm happy for Henry but feel a heaviness... for his wife...
and for me. Henry was a man I deeply admired and wanted to emulate in
devotion to Christ, in discipline, in willingness to bring changes to his
life so that he could walk more closely to Jesus... to love others as he
understood Christ loved him.

I've missed seeing Henry around the past several weeks. I knew he was
dying. He was under hospice care. But I just didn't think that his death
would affect me this way. I don't want Henry to be gone. I'm not ready for
that. This world isn't ready for Henry to be gone. But I suppose God knows
best - what's best for Henry, for his wife, for me, for all of us. It's
best not just for Henry but for all of us. That's the way God works.

Thank you, Lord, for the time I had with Henry. Thank you for showing me
more of your grace and mercy in and through Henry... to see you a little
more clearly because of Henry.

Blessed is the Lord. Glory to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy
Spirit. As it was, so it is and so it shall be forever. Amen.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,
I just refound your blog on the link from Joanna's. Your post and your reflections on Henry were the best way I could have found out about his passing. Thank you for your heart and for your words. Henry did, indeed, leave his legacy in you and his influence will continue to shape your life for as long as you are a part of this world.
Blessings,
Ann

3:11 PM  
Blogger Stephen C. Weber said...

Jim, God bless you as you mourn your friend.

Stephen

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home