Sunday, February 11, 2007

Poverty, Greed and Following Jesus


I really know nothing of poverty. I have some academic awareness of it -
but no experience with it.

Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor." I have read of many Christians who,
having come from wealthy families and living in lavish opulence and having
heard these words of Jesus, left all their wealth and deliberately took up a
life of poverty. It's not that poverty in itself is so great... but you
have to wonder when you hear Jesus say, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell
your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.
Then come, follow me." (Matt 19:21) Or when he lavishes his praise on the
poor woman who gave her last two cents away. "She gave far more than all
those who gave out of the excess of their wealth." (Mark 12:43-44, my
paraphrase)

And so I have to wonder what I know of Jesus. (Certainly I ought not take
food from my wife's mouth to give to someone else - but that's an extreme
that is an unnecessary consideration just now.) I sit in room with lots of
books, electronics, musical instruments... and stuff. All this in a house
with lots of... stuff... and much of that "in storage." Jesus told his
disciples, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's
life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." (Luke 12:15)

How do I "guard against all kinds of greed" if not by just not yielding to
the desire to "get" and "have?" Perhaps that's only half the equation.
Perhaps the other half is "give."

"Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. Love your
neighbor as yourself." Perhaps wealth works against that, somehow. Even if
wealth does not, greed certainly does. And I have a thought that my concept
of greed is simply acceptable American idealism.

Jesus, show me your way... and make my heart to desire your way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home