Saturday, February 24, 2007

Lent


I once read (can't remember from whom) that Easter without Lent is like the
climax of a movie without the rest of the movie.

Perhaps it's partly because I'm introspective by nature and often rather
melancholy that I really like Lent. If there is a specific time during
which I take some pleasure in reflecting on struggle and really embracing
the difficulty of being who and what God created me to be, it's the Lenten
season.

Israel spent 40 years wandering in the wilderness. They made some pretty
dumb decisions (stuff that involved relying on their own "ingenuity" and not
trusting God) so God let them wander around in a huge circle. While it was
a tremendously hard time for them (well, that's putting it mildly... and
they still made some dumb decisions) God provided miraculously for them. It
wasn't just the manna. Their clothes and shoes never wore out... 40 years!!
(I look forward to worn out clothes so I have sufficient reason to buy
something new!)

Jesus spent 40 days/nights in the wilderness fasting and praying. It's
interesting to note the Bible says it was AFTER those 40 days/nights that
Jesus was hungry. I wonder if it was hard on Jesus or if there was an
ecstasy for him since it was an opportunity for him to focus exclusively for
over a month on the Father.

I don't think I do Lent very well. I chose my "mortification" this year and
am practicing it... But I worry that I'm not really getting the full benefit
from it that I should because I'm often so easily distracted... From prayer,
from meditation.

Israel was forced into it. Jesus volunteered for it. I guess I volunteered
for it, too. I just wish I could get my heart attitude into better
condition for it, with it, through it. I really do want to embrace the
struggle. But emotionally I run away from it. Perhaps, if nothing else,
for now, I can at least DO it without feeling the need to feel good about
it.

Orthodoxy. Orthopraxy. Is there such a thing as orthopathy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home